May 5, 2015 12:33 am
However, portable generators are not free of risks – the greatest of which is carbon monoxide, according to the Portable Generator Manufacturers’ Association (PGMA). The engine exhaust from these devices contains this gas, which you cannot see, taste or smell and can have fatal consequences for people and animals that are exposed to excess levels. Remember to:
- Never run a portable generator indoors or in partially-enclosed spaces like garages, porches, breezeways or tents, even if using fans or opening doors and windows for ventilation. Carbon monoxide can build up and linger for hours, even after the generator has shut off.
- Always place a portable generator downwind and point the engine exhaust away from occupied spaces, such as a campsite or tailgate area.
- Get to fresh air immediately and call 911 for emergency medical attention if you feel sick, dizzy or weak while using your portable generator.
- Install a battery-operated carbon monoxide alarm according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Always refer to the generator owner's manual for further information about safe operation and potential hazards.
Published with permission from RISMedia.